Monday, June 8, 2009

Strawberry Freezer Jam




All this talking about strawberry patches made me hungry for some homemade strawberry jam so that's what I decided to make this last weekend. I've never made jam before but recently I discovered that Ball makes a freezer jam pectin that doesn't require cooking the jam at all. It's as easy as buying the freezer plastic containers and a package of this stuff -- which I found at Dillons. I bought 4 lb of strawberries and used maybe a quarter of them and they produced 4 jars of jam.


Strawberry Freezer Jam :


Mix 1 1/2 c. sugar with a package of pectin.


Crush 11/2 lb of strawberries. I chose to crush them in my food processor because I don't like chunky jam.


Once the strawberries are crushed, mix them with the sugar-pectin mix for 3 min.


Scoop the jam into the 4 plastic containers and allow them to sit for 30 minutes.


The strawberry mixture will sit up and become jam.


Freeze the containers and pull one down the fridge as you need it.


The jars will stay good in the fridge for 3 weeks and up to a year in the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment